Frequently Asked Questions

Vaccinations required for South African Entry & Exit

A valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate is required for all passengers over one year of age who arrive or are transiting through South Africa, from a country or region listed by the World Health Organization as infected by yellow fever. Travellers unable to present a valid yellow fever vaccination certificate issued at least 10 days before arrival in South Africa will be refused entry. There is no option for travellers without a vaccination certificate to be vaccinated on arrival.

Smart traveller has also updated its entry & exit requirements for Zambia and advises that Travellers may be required to show proof of yellow fever vaccinations if they have visited a country where yellow fever is common.

"What’s a typical day on the Overland Vehicle like "

To find out more just click on this link "A day in the life of an overland tour"

"Who is responsible for my visas "

You are responsible for your own visa's, many of which can be obtained on the borders at the time of travel. Your driver will assist you on the day, but should you have any concerns then please do not hesitate to contact us or check out the Visa and Embassy information link on the Links page.

"I am travelling on a certain passport - is that going to be a problem"

Please remember that you are responsible for your own visas - if you arrive to start a trip and you are from a country that requires visas before arrival then we cannot be held responsible.  A useful guide to finding out what visas you will need can be found – then search by putting in ‘Visa requirements for British nationals’ (substitute your own nationality). This will give you a list of visa requirements for your passport. Please remember though that this is a guide only and as things change it may not be 100% reliable.

"What else must I pay for including Local Payment?"

We require the local payment as we are unable to reliably transfer foreign currency required to operate the tour. It is for this reason that we ask for a part of your tour payment to be paid on the first day, directly to your driver. The Local Payment is not a Food Kitty. Whilst it does pay for the food as per itinerary, it also covers; camping accommodation cost, local tolls and taxes and other payments required to make the tour run successfully. It is administered by the driver and is not refundable.  Optional Activities These are activities, which are available for you to do along the way on the tour but are not compulsory so we have not included them in the tour cost. These are booked & paid for on the trip and suggested form of payment is US$ cash. Sometimes you can pay by Travelers Cheques or Credit card; however the surcharges can be high Daily Spending We also recommend a guideline of about US$ 35 per person for spending money daily to cover things like bottled water, refreshments, souvenirs and drinks.

"Can I charge equipment batteries on the overland truck or at campsites?"

Though you can charge of the truck we don't advise it as it runs on a 24 volt system which shortens the life of your batteries. You can charge at nearly every campsite..

"How often can I email?"

Most towns have internet cafes, and some campsites offer email facilities. So you can e mail from every day to sometimes once a week.

"Can I use my Credit Card whilst on the trip?"

Bring two if you can get them in case one stops working, or gets swallowed by the cash machine. There are quite a few places where you can draw out local money. But take care as your card can easily be stopped with the unusual use abroad (as a bank security measure). Which means you may have to get on the phone home to get it unlocked. As a precaution, before travelling contact your bank and tell them where you are going and when you will be away.

"How much spending money should I bring?"

$35 a day is a good start excluding the big side trips. This varies from with how much you drink, eat out and how many souvenirs you buy. Budget separately for side trips and options. The best way to break up your money for a mixture of ease of exchange and safety is to take 50% cash in US$ and 50% in money on your credit card – but you really need to bring two credit cards as they can easily be rejected by the cash machine due to your own bank blocking them as suddenly withdrawing cash abroad will seem unusual to your bank at home. Remember ATM machines only pay out local currency. On most borders you can change excess left over currency for the next countries money. The balance of carrying a lot of cash is a risk you have to asses yourself in case you lose it.

"What currency should I bring my travellers cheques in"

US$ is the most widely recognized hard currency. And travellers cheques are often now problematic to change; particularly in Africa.

"What will the weather be like on my overland tour?"

Best thing to do is decide on the trip you want to do and the time of year, then look up the weather website from our links page, and you should be able to get an idea. But bring a jumper as it can get cold at night - even in Africa

"Do I need insurance for overland tours?"

Travel Insurance is compulsory. We can point you in the right direction for insurance but can't sell it. You need insurance which covers you for medical, baggage, repatriation, and currency. Please bear in mind when buying insurance the most important thing is to take out medical and repatriation cover.

"Can you guarantee that I will see the gorillas if I buy a permit?"

No one can guarantee you will see the gorillas as they move freely through the jungle forests. The gorillas are tracked daily and 99% of the groups do see them but, if the gorilla families are sick for example they are protected from human contact. The permit only allows you the chance to see them however we have managed to see the gorillas every time in the last five years.

"What language are the tours conducted in?"

English – if you don't know English by the end of the tour you will.

"Can I bring my own tent?"

We supply good tents – but if you have one you like your welcome to bring it.

"I can't cook"

Don't worry about that as there is always someone around who can help. It's not a Michelin 3 star gourmet experience and most people are so hungry living in the outdoors all day they won't be too fussy.

"I'm a single traveller - does that matter?"

No as over half the people who join our trips come alone, some with a friend, so don't worry about coming alone as lots do.

"Do you have luggage restrictions?"

Not really. Our safari trucks are very roomy but remember that most airlines restrict you to 20/45 kilos of luggage without charging, so that may limit you in what you carry. We expect people to have a back pack or duffel bag, day bag & sleeping kit. The trucks are designed for storing backpacks or duffel bags – suitcases are hard to squeeze in and are likely to get damaged.

"I have particular dietary requirements - is that a problem"

No, most diets can be catered for, though ingredients can be limited. If you do have a particular dietary requirement or medical condition, other than being a vegetarian, you must tell us at the time of booking.

"I want to know the equivalent price in my local currency?"

The tour cost can be worked out in your local currency using the exchange rate of the day.

"Can I book through a travel agent?"

It’s best to book direct, information is more correct and you know your trip is booked. You can book from anywhere in the world.

"How can I make a booking? "

You can either use the booking form on this website or contact the closest agent to you from our contact page. You need to complete our bookings form and pay your deposit to get your seat. Full payment is due 60 days before departure. To travel with us you must have travel insurance. You don't have to pay by credit card. A cheque/draft, bank transfer or online transaction is just as fine. You can book our trips from anywhere in the world with confidence that you'll get the best price as we don't add a premium for different currencies. By booking and paying online your payment will be automatically converted to the UK price at the exchange rate of the day.

"How many people are on tour?”

We travel with any number from 4 to 30 people on a truck.

"Can I drink the water on the truck?"

Yes but though it's safe to drink bottled water is readily available and most people prefer to drink it.

Where is the best place to get medical advice before travelling?

From your doctor or medical clinic. We can only offer guidelines but do not rely on any advice given on on-line forums or other travellers. Everyone is individual where medical needs are concerned.

Do I need to take malaria pills?

Yes in Africa and some parts of Asia; seek advice from your doctor.